Friday, January 3, 2014

Best Books of 2013

Did you read any good books in 2013?  I sure did.  Below are my favorite books of 2013 in random order.  These are books that I read in 2013, not necessarily published in 2013.  Click on the title if you want to read more about the book or purchase it from amazon.


This is one of the most interesting books I have ever read.  I wrote a post about the book here. The Power of Habit is filled with great stories, science, and research about how our brains work and why we do what we do.  I would recommend it to any human!

I don't even really know how to accurately describe this book.  It was a refreshing look into who Jesus is and a reminder that following Jesus is more about what you do than what you don't do.  It brings a new perspective on Church, Christianity, Jesus, and my role and relationship with each.  Whether you are a Christian or not, involved in Church or not, or follow Jesus or not I think you will genuinely like this book.  
 
This was the most applicable and challenging book I read in 2013.  It served as a call to action for me, encouraging me to be a better leader in my home, church, work, and community.  This book inspired me lead a Bible Study at my church challenging men to be the leader they were created to be and also plan and lead a Men's Retreat.  If you want to be challenged spiritually, I highly recommend Kingdom Man.  (There is also a Kingdom Woman book that I have not read, but ladies you may want to check it out.)


This is a leadership book in the form of a story.  There are many good leadership principles if you are the leader of a group of people.  You could make some parallels of leading your family but it doesn't do that for you.  It was a super easy read as I literally read it in a day.  I recommend it to people in leadership positions.  

This book gives you practical examples and stories for how to discipline your young children. How you parent your child can be a very touchy subject.  This book provides a little but of parenting philosophy and a lot of practical examples and strategies.  Katy and I used this with our 1 year old and it worked for us.  There is also a big simply titled Love and Logic which is great for parents and teachers with older kids.  This was specifically for infants, toddlers, and Kindergarteners.  I recommend it to anyone with young kids.  Even if you don't agree or choose to use the strategies in this book it will at least help you define your style of parenting and discipline.  

This was a surprisingly good book as I found a used copy for cheap at Hastings. The first half of the book is about how to strengthen your marriage and the second half is about parenting. It also gives many examples for single parents throughout the entire book.  I would recommend it to all parents, specifically families with kids ages 3 and up.  

I'm being totally serious here.  I have read The Bible before but this year it was different.  I ventured into the Old Testament and read some awesome stories in 1st and 2nd Samuel and 1st and 2nd Kings.  Many of these stories I knew or had heard of but I got to read about them in context which made them so much better.  Some stories were completely new to me and I was fascinated. Stories of triumph, tragedy, death, kings, betrayal, loyalty, underdogs, wars, and so much more. If you are into history and great stories I suggest you give The Old Testament a read.  


What were some of the best books you read this year?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. I appreciate your comments, feedback, and support. If you like what you read, please share it with someone else! I hope to hear back from you soon!