Sunday, September 22, 2013

Do you have the time?

I recently sent out an anonymous survey via Facebook and Twitter.  The survey asked the question "What barriers in your life keep you from fully pursuing God?"  The number 1 answer: Time.

I was not surprised by this answer because we live in a culture in which its cool to be busy.  Its as if society says if you're schedule isn't full, then you must not have any friends, must not be working hard, or must not live an exciting life.

However, the more I think about this, the more I realize that time is not the issue.  Time is neutral.  Time is not good or bad.  Time is the same for everyone, everyday.  So the problem is not time.

The way I choose to spend my time is the issue.  The way I choose to fill my schedule is the issue.  The way I prioritize my time is the issue.

So if you're really trying to pursue God, become the spiritual leader of your family, or develop the fruit of the spirit, its time to re-prioritize your time.  No doubt, you're going to have to give up some of the things you like to do.  You're going to have to cut back on TV, hobbies, entertainment, or maybe even work.  To fully pursue God, you'll have to spend less time on those things that provide temporary happiness and invest more time on the things that have a lasting effect.

Do you have a desire to fully pursue God?  You have the time.  How will you use it?

Look at your daily schedule and find a way to carve out and extra 30 minutes to read, pray, and/or focus on God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. I appreciate your comments, feedback, and support. If you like what you read, please share it with someone else! I hope to hear back from you soon!