Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Principle of the Path (Part 2)

Have you ever been lost?  I know I have.  Rarely do we get lost on purpose.  I mean its not like you are driving around and you think, "As soon as I cross that street, then I will be lost."  It's more along the lines of, "Things are starting to look less familiar but I think I'm heading the right direction... "  And a few minutes later you have no earthly idea where you are or how to get back on track.

Life is the same way.  We don't get lost on purpose.  Like I said in my last post, no one plans on being overweight, divorced, bankrupt, addicted, or unhappy. Why would anyone plan for any of these things? Yet it happens to so many on a regular basis. People just don't think, "I can drink X amount each week before I become an alcoholic."  It's something that happens over time that starts with 'social drinking' with friends, continues with 'therapeutic drinking' after a long day, and extends further with 'avoiding reality drinking' to cope with difficult circumstances.  Each of these decisions leads you further down the path until you reach the undesired destination of alcoholism. 

To avoid ending up at an undesired destination, people generally use a GPS device such as a Garmin, Tom Tom, or smart phone.  This phenomenal technology gives you step by step instructions to successfully get to your desired destination.  In other words, a GPS helps you make the right decisions to lead you down the right path.

Here are three examples of a GPS for your life.

1.  Before you begin, talk to experienced travelers.  If you want to have a lasting, loving marriage, ask advice from those that have the type of marriage you desire.  It may also be helpful to ask someone what to be aware of from someone who has been divorced.

2.  Stop and ask for directions.  No matter how far down a good or bad path, it is always okay to ask for directions.  If you're on a good path, conformation is reassuring.  If you're on a bad path, the sooner you realize it the sooner you can re-route.

3.  Ask God to guide your steps.  It can be difficult to know which steps to take.  Seek God through prayer and reading His word and He promises the Holy Spirit will guide you.

For more information, check out The Principle of the Path by Andy Stanley. 
[These are simply my thoughts after reading the book.  Andy says it much better. :) ]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. I appreciate your comments, feedback, and support. If you like what you read, please share it with someone else! I hope to hear back from you soon!